Marine Court, which was completed only this year (1938) greatly exceeded the cost originally estimated, and the final figure has been put in excess of £400,000.
It was announced in the ‘Observer’ on July 23rd that “several changes had been made in the Board of Directors, and finances have been strongly reinforced to carry out an enterprising forward policy, which should make the magnificent structure one of the most desirable places to live in all England”.
The construction was a colossal undertaking. Fourteen Victorian buildings were demolished to make way for the structure, and 15,000 tons of earth and rock were removed during the excavation of the site.
Construction materials included 2,000 tons of cement, 2,500 tons of sand, 1,400,000 building bricks, 22,000 square feet of glass, 14,000 tons of ballast, 2,100 tons of steel, and 3,000 gallons of paint.
The building contains 6 acres of partitions, 7 miles of skirting, 5½ acres of floors, 14 acres of ceilings and wall plastering, and 2,000 doors.
Five hundred men were directly employed on the site throughout construction while hundreds more must have been found work in the factories and industries supplying the vast amount of materials needed.
Fourteen storeys high, the building stands 170 ft, from the basement to roof, and is claimed to be the highest dwelling place in Britain.
The Restaurant occupies two floors, each capable of seating up to 500 people at one session.
The ground floor consists of 25 shops. Often described as “A Liner on Land”, the general lines of the design where inspired by the “Queen Mary.”
The original perspective was hung in the Royal Academy.
November 26th 1938