HERE IS HASTINGS IN OLD PICTURES 6.
NOW THIS PARTICULAR PAGE
MIGHT JUST TAKE A LITTLE LONGER TO FILL UP
AS CARDS AND PHOTOS ARE GETTING RATHER SCARCE!
IF YOU HAVE ANY OLD PICTURES OF EITHER HASTINGS OR ST LEONARDS
DATING BACK TO THE MID 1800s THROUGH TO THE LATE 1950s,
WE WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM AND PLACE THEM ON THIS SITE
WITH A CREDIT TO THEIR OWNERS.
JUST SEND US AN EMAIL Via THE CONTACT FORM
AND WE WILL RETURN YOUR MESSAGE QUITE QUICKLY.
IN PARTICULAR WE ARE LOOKING FOR TIN TOWN
AT BROOMGROVE AND ANY OTHER RARE
PICTURES YOU MIGHT HAVE,
WE CAN ASSURE YOU THAT EVERY CARE
WOULD BE TAKEN WHILST THESE PICTURES
ARE IN OUR CARE FOR COPYING,
AND WOULD BE RETURNED TO THEIR OWNERS
AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE.
Please don’t forget to click on any picture to enlarge it!
Aerial view of Old Town 1950s.
Alexandra park and the submarine log, brought up whilst piling for Hastings pier in the submerged forest. c1895.
All Saints Street taken from a glass lantern slide 1898. If you look the horse is already on its way to the next stop on his own, probably done this trip a hundred times before.
Beach Terrace 1914.
Caroline Bandstand on the end of Beach Terrace all lit up for an evening performance 1921.
Caroline Parade were the charabancs took you on an afternoon or evening mystery trip! 1934.
An old bus used as an office for the Freedom Ticket sales in the coach station next to the Town Hall. c1965.
Entertainments on the beach taken from a glass lantern slide. 1902.
Hastings Pier around 1960.
Hastings Pier with the Infirmary to the left. c1904.
I did tell you to look out, now your feet are wet! 1905.
Lifeboat House c1900.
Albert Memorial 1937.
New parade looking towards Warrior Square. 1936.
Hastings Old Town taken from a glass lantern slide dated 1898.
Pelham Crescent. c1899 Taken from a glass lantern slide.
Pleasant Row prior to the New Bourne Road being pushed through the Old Town. 1957. The building has been gutted and has no windows now ready for demolition!
The solid concrete Scrivens Buildings on Crown Lane 1969. Today replaced with a new block of flats.
This shop was on the end of what was the Grand Hotel at Verlulam Place, where Waverly Court now stands today. Picture dates from about 1900.
View from the west hill looking down onto the Old Town and the fishing quarters. 1890. Taken from a glass lantern slide.
Winchester Restaurant in 1956, before the gas leak explosion which destroyed the buildings.
A view from the top of Marine Court. 1962.
The Ridge c1955, Scollay’s is just on the left by Parkwood Road and telephone box.
Looking down onto the Fishing Quarters from the east hill. 1890.
R. Geary & Son builders & Decorators in an unknown location (for now!) in St Leonards 1901.
On the beach in front of the old lifeboat house in 1903.
On Hastings Pier by the bandstand in 1905.
York buildings at the Memorial clock tower in 1907. (Love the sign for the Queens Avenue Stores)
1911 Sunday School Union Teachers home of rest at St Leonards.
Just as the description states in 1916.
On the beach 1918.
White Rock Parade 1923.
The Lorne Hotel at White Rock 1936.
Happy Harold and a number 11 trolley bus waiting at White Rock 1953.
The west hill lift in 1957.
Aerial view of the town centre with the beached submarine 1919.
Alexandra Road St Leonards 1907.
Alma Villas Silverhill 1905.
Beach at Eversfield Place St Leonards 1906.
Blomfield Road 1905. (The photographer can’t spell the road name correctly…BLEMFIELD TERRACE!)
Brittany Road 1907.
Carisbrooke Road 1904.
Carisbrooke Road St Leonards 1904.
Carlisle Parade 1908.
Caroline Place 1904.
Chapel Park Road 1905.
Charles Road 1907.
Church Road 1905.
White Rock Parade in 1910.
Almost the same but viewed across the road towards the pier and baths at White Rock in 1911.
Clyde Road St Leonards 1905.
Dane Road St Leonards 1905.
Denmark Place & Caroline Parade. 1907.
Denmark Place and Queens Hotel 1906.
Edinburgh Hotel Warrior Square 1907.
Eversfield Place and the Parade 1907.
Eversfield Place and the beach 1907.
Eversfield Place Parade and beach now looking westwards 1907.
Eversfield Place Parade near to Warrior Square 1908.
Eversfield Place and granny being pulled along in an invalid carriage 1908.
Filsham Road 1957, with an old M&D bus going over the railway bridge at the bottom of the hill.
Fishing Boats ashore. 1907.
Grand Parade by Warrior Square 1907.
Hastings Pier 1907.
High Mead Brittany Road 1905.
Horntye Road (2) 1907.
Horntye Road 1907.
Magdalen Road 1907.
Magdalen Road St Leonards 1907.
Salisbury Road (2) 1907.
Rough Sea at Denmark Place 1909.
On the rocks at the old town. 1906.
Old Lifeboat House 1903.
Old Hastings House with all windows in tact before the dreaded window tax came into force, picture date from about 1904.
Old Hastings House now with some top floor windows blanked out to avoid paying for window tax. Picture dates as from 1955. This home is situated at the top of High Street.
Sandy beach at Pelham Place 1907.
Shornden Bohemia Road 1905.
Part of the motor invasion by 660 troops on an exercise to the coast in 1909.
The invasion of troops now on the seafront 1909.
Grand Parade St Leonards 1907.
St Mary Mardalen School, Magdalen Road St Leonards 1907.
St Matthews Church 1907.
St Matthews Gardens 1907.
St Matthews Gardens St Leonrads 1907.
St Pauls Road. 1907.
St Peters Road St Leonards 1907.
St Peters road St Leonards 1907.
Stone House Farm Hollington. 1907.
The beach huts at Eversfield Place 1908.
The Parade at Denmark Place 1904.
The Parade at Pelham Place 1904.
The Parade at Warrior Square 1907.
Pelham Place 1906.
Upper Maze Hill 1907.
Vale Road Silverhill 1907.
Vale Road 1907.
Vale Road (3) 1907.
View of Grand Hotel at Verulam Place White Rock from Hastings Pier. c1907.
1906 Late Oct – The Grand Hotel, at Verulam Place opposite Hastings Pier, closed because of financial problems. This was followed in November by an extensive sale of all the furniture. This was bought in one lot for £2,000 by Mr John J Butler, of Butler’s Emporium in George Street, paying the £2,000 in cash to the auctioneer! He claimed he went to the auction with no hard plans to buy it, and happened to have the money in his pocket. By the end of the following day he had disposed of his suspicious bargain to a Mr Cavie, of Milward Crescent, an old acquaintance. Butler said he bumped into Cavie in the street soon after the auction, told him about it and sold it almost on the spot.
Warrior Square Parade 1907.
Warrior Square south side 1908.
White Rock 1903.
White Rock Parade 1906.
Yachts at Hastings 1895.
Construction of Marine Court in 1937.
Marine Court 1937.
Marine Court in St Leonards-on-Sea in East Sussex was constructed by South Coast (Hastings & St Leonards) Properties Company, (not as many have stated that Sidney Little designed and built it)! On 30th November 1936 the foundation stone was laid by Robert Holland-Martin, Chairman of the Southern Railway and the building was completed in 1938. Marine Court is fourteen storeys high, and from basement to roof, measures 170 ft/49 metres in height; east-west 416 ft/127 metres in length.
When viewed from the east or west Marine Court is very tall and slender, from the beach (south) or north, the full expanse of the building dwarfs all those on the seafront. Marine Court was an early pioneer of steel-frame construction, like the earlier De La Warr Pavilion in Bexhill-on-Sea.
The building was designed by architects Kenneth Dalgleish and Roger K Pullen, with overt references to the Cunard White-Star Line Queen Mary, which had entered commercial transatlantic service in 1936. The east end of Marine Court is shaped to imitate the curved, stacked bridge front of the Queen Mary; the eastern restaurant served to imitate the fo’c’sle deck of the ship.
The south elevation is vertical, with balconies imitating the promenade deck aboard the Queen Mary. The upper stories of Marine Court are stepped-in from those beneath, like the superstructure of a ship, those beneath like the immense hull of a liner. The ground floor shop frontages were black; the external walls of Marine Court were painted white.
Marine Court was damaged at its eastern end by bombing during the Second World War and restoration of the building took place in 1949-1950. The uniformity and clarity of the design of Marine Court has been blunted over time, with replacement windows and glazing-in of balconies in a haphazard manner blurring the vision of the architects.
Over time the general condition of the exterior suffered from the sea air and general neglect; the shop fronts on the ground floor have had their external finishing altered and changed. Efforts have been made to restore the exterior, it has been repainted and the canopy edge re-trimmed. Replacement windows have been installed in the former restaurant, but while similar in style to the original Crittall windows the glazing bars are much thicker, and so it is a disappointing decision. The glazed-in balconies and mixture of replacement windows still give a disharmonious appearance to the sea-front facade.
The building was awarded Grade-II listing status in 1999.
Look what we caught off Hastings pier, Yes! a fish. c1956.
The Memorial in 1949.
Trolley Bus at the round-a-bout bottom of High Street in 1955.
Bembrook Farm Estate prior to any road of houses being built on the top. c1918.
Another aerial view of the heart of the Old Town taken from an aeroplane c1930.
Happy Harold at Grosvenor Crescent in 1953 celebrating the Coronation of our Queen.
High Street c1928.
Does your shape fit! 1959.
All Saints Church and looking across to Torfield and beyond, hardly a building in sight. 1920.
A busy town centre in c1900.
Edmund Road at Clive Vale in 1915.
The old Lifeboat House at the stade in 1914.
Opening a new wing to the Buchanan Hospital on Dec 5th 1908 by the Lord Mayor of London.
Omnibus at Queens Road. c1934.
THIS IS ALL FOR THE THE TIME BEING,
PLEASE NOW GO TO PICTURES 7.
THANKS FOR LOOKING.