Well it has taken a great deal of effort to fill yet another page but we have done it!
‘Hastings in Old Pictures 42’ is now here!
WE ARE SORRY FOR THE LENGTHY DELAY
IN POSTING THE PICTURES,
BUT WE HAVE GOT TO ADD UP ALL THE Mbs
THE PAGE WILL TAKE
IN KNOWING THAT WE WILL
NOT EXCEED THE LIMIT.
FROM NOW ON, THE PICTURE QUALITY
MAY BE SLIGHTLY LESS, THIS WILL BE DONE
SO AS NOT TAKE UP TOO MUCH ROOM WITH LESS Mbs;
AND OLDER PICTURES AT THE BEGINING
MAY BE DELETED FROM TIME TO TIME
TO MAKE FURTHER ROOM FOR NEW COMERS.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT!
UNFORTUNATELY THIS IS WHAT IS HAPENING
TO THE WORLD TODAY,
NO ROOM LEFT!
30 Warrior Square. 1905.
123 – 145 Bohemia Road. 1973. Built in around 1880.
135 – 137 Bohemia Road. 1964.
1956 Ordnance Survey of Queens Road area, note some of the long gone roads.
A flag stoned tunnel of great antiquity which runs under warrior square gardens and the main seafront road. possibly 1930s.
A photo of a tram opposite the Grand Hotel on the wire and not the studs. 1912.
Aerial photo of the old town and beach. 1959.
Aerial view from the 1930s
Albert Memorial all lit up with Christmas trees. 1950’s.
An aerial photo of vertually the whole of the town in 1935. (Can you locate your house?)
Beach Terrace – which stood in front of Pelham crescent and was demolished in the early 1930’s for a road widening scheme.
Blackman Pavie & Ladden coal merchants on Havelock Road. 1955.
Bohemia Road. 1973.
Bryant and Sons Furniture Warehouse, Cornwallis Street. showing how people moved thier possessions in the early 1900s.
Original outline plans for the new Buchanan Hospital dated 1881.
Butlers Emporium. 1973.
Cable laying on St Helens Road. 1902. Taken from the actual cable makers photo of that date.
Carlisle Parade. 1890.
Corner of Harold place and Denmark place, c1910.
Demolition of the Grand Hotel in 1962.
Dick Russell Job Master at what is now the St Andrews indoor market, picture dates from around 1895.
Eversfield place. 1947.
Gaiety theatre (built 1882, converted into cinema 1932) and Queens arcade ( also 1882)
George Street building prior to the Pump House being built, these premisses were Stokes And Carey shoe shop which closed down prior to the war and never reopened. Picture dates as from 1944.
Grocers Shop on London Road, now a Veternary Surgery. c1976.
Gulf petrol station (now morrisons petrol station) and Gas works showroom ( built 1878). The Showroom was demolished in around 1985 in preperation for a new Safeways supermarket.
Harry’s Old Town Bingo near Winkle Island. 1976.
Hastings Railway Station. 1965.
Kings road lights. 1950’s.
Looking down Robertson street from White rock during 1945/6.
Looking down Saxon road towards Christchurch Ore. c1930.
Meadow Road and Meadow Cottage, Aka Queens Road. c1889. York Gardens are up the side.
Memorial after a heavy fall of snow back in 1963.
Memorial from Plummer Roddiss balcony. 1945. Free car wash. And I wonder to how many tried their drum styled brakes out after leaving the flood ?
Old Buildings at Hastings’ by Henry Morton. The original is dated as 1817, this colour version was made a little later.
Old town. 1929.
Pelham crescent in the early 1970s. Any one remember any of the shops?
Pelham Place. December of 1908.
Pilot Inn. Queens Road. 1900.
Queens Road again – this time at the corner of Albert Road in around 1978. The three buildings here were demolished to widen the junction in 1992 93 – even though the end building (topshop) was listed. Sorry about the very grainy picture but this was best of the pile believe it or not!
Roal Oak Hotel remains in Castle Street in 1956.
Royal Victoria Hotel. 1947.
St Andrews Church on Queens Road. 1905.
St Marys Terrace. 1937.
Staff at the Hearts Of Oak – Bohemia Road. 1910.
Stewarts warehouse on Bexhill road under demolition. 1983-4.
Subterranean wine cellar underneath Pelham Arcade. 1960s.
The demolition of the Methodist Church opposite the Observer buildings. 1980.
Taking down the steeple. 1980.
Central Methodist Church.
At the junction of Cornwallis Gardens and Holmesdale Gardens stood the Central Methodist Church basically sited and faced on Cambridge Road; this property was bought from the Trustees of the Methodist Church’s by the local council for the purposes of road improvements in 1978, (but the road scheme never materialised) hence it was resold on again but not until 1985 to a developer, whereby the building had remained empty for the previous 7 years and prone to vandalism. The bundle contains a building agreement between the Trustees of the Cornwallis (Hastings) Estate and W. W. Pocock, dating back to 1874 when the church was first designed and built on that ground.
The Beaconsfield Hotel. Hughenden road. 1902. Closed 2009.
The buildings on the left are 2, 2a and 4 Castle Hill Road. Demolished in the late 1960s early 1970s. Beyond you can make out Dimarcos restaurant demolished in around 1987 to build a McDonald’s.
The corner of Portland Place on Queens Road. The site being used for an advertising hoarding in the early 1950s.
The buildings that are now visible far right are called Portland cottages. Behind them is what was originally a school building, in Portland Place.
The Grand Hotel as it looked in 1947.
The Grand Hotel in 1952. Now in a derelict state.
The Grand Hotel. 1935.
The Privateer P.H opened in 1854 on the corner of Elford street and Wellington mews. It closed as a pub in 1917 reverting to a private residence but wasn’t pulled down until around 1977. Photo taken 1976.
The rebuilding of Castle Street during 1960- 1963.
Yes, good old Woollies as Castle Street was being rebuilt. 1962-3.
The sign post directs people to the Central Cricket Ground, White Rock Baths, Palace Pier, St Leonards Gardens and Grosvenor Gardens. 1935.
Bottom of Old London Road, 1880s. Pound just visible on the far right.
Thank you to all that keep looking at the past.
We will strive to add further images soon.
Copyright © richardpollard.co.uk 2008 – 2019
© Richard Pollard 2008 – 2019