Here we are again looking at showing Hastings in Old Pictures 41
7- 11 All Saints Street. No 7 demolished and replaced. 1954.
106 – 108 All Saints Street. 1954.
23 High Street. Nov 1942.
41-43 High street. 1965.
70 – 73a All Saints Street. 1942.
86 & 87 High Street. 1964.
90a – 94 High Street. 1954.
1950s Kings Road. Another wet Christmas.
A nice aerial shot of the Central Cricket Ground. 1956.
A Paddle steamer approaching the Pier landing stage, waiting to transfer passengers ashore. 1954.
Alexandra Park boating lake. 1907.
Alexandra Park boating lake. 1930.
Alexandra Park. 1904.
Alexandra Park. 1958.
The High Street in 1962.
All Saints Street bottom end. 1935.
An aerial view of St Leonards and White Rock. 1935.
An aerila view of the town centre and what was the central cricket ground. 1935.
Another aerial view of White Rock looking towards the Old Town. 1935.
Baldslow Mill. 1910.
Bohemia Road. 1910.
Bottom of All Saints Street. 1903.
Breeds Place. 1947.
By the East Well in Rock-a-Nore Road. 1854.
Quarrying stone from the cliff in 1854.
Castle Hill Road. 1958.
Claytons Tobacconists in the High Street in 1954.
Croft Road. 1947.
Davis Paper wholesaler corner of Devonshire Road & Station Road. 1983.
Drapers Windmill – Windmill Road – Silverhill – St Leonards. 1961.
East Cliff. 1840.
Hastings Pier and White Rock Pavilion. 1937.
The original Salvation Army Hall at St Andrews Square, knick named ‘The Iron Fort’ due to its construction of all corrugated iron sheets, 1908.
Hastings Salvation Army – The new Citadel in St Andrews Square which opened in 1930.
Henry King & Fiest Bakers in the High Street, later to become Wickers Tea Rooms. c1957.
The demolition starts on the Old Customs House in the High Street in readiness to build Philip Cole Close. 1962.
High Street and the demolition of the Old Customs House. 1963.
High Street with Claytons Tobacconist in 1963.
Hollington Church in the Woods in Autumn. 1910.
Holy Trinity Church drinking fountain.
This photograph dates back to 1862 and shows the newly completed Waldegrave drinking fountain. Built in honour of Sarah Whitear, Countess Waldegrave (1787-1873) The fountain is constructed from polished red granite and Portland stone. Sadly the structure is on the Heritage at Risk register and is badly damaged . The original drinking cups, chains and taps are missing, the four statues of the evangelists are missing from the canopy, and the decorative top to the Spire is missing . The entire fountain is also severely corroded and weathered. Also of interest in this photo are the long lost buildings in the background in Trinity street. The low, two storey, weather boarded building probably dates back to around 1851 but was demolished by around 1865 and replaced by the present buildings.
Horntye Road. 1910.
Horntyre Road. 1912.
Interior circle View of the Gaiety Theatre. Queens Road. 1900.
The Gaiety Theatre
The Gaiety Theatre opened on 1st August 1882 and was designed by noted theatre architect Charles John Phipps, in association with the local architectural firm Cross & Wells. The auditorium, which seated 1,600 in stalls, circle and balcony levels, was hidden from view from the street by a decorative Victorian commercial building.
Old Golden Cross corner of Havelock Road. 1957. Today the clock has dissapeared and the venue has changed hands many times since.
Salisbury Road. 1912.
Silverhill Junction. 1928.
St Clements Halton.
St Clements church, Halton was built in 1838, funded by local benefactor Countess Waldegrave. Doubt exists over the names of both the original architects and those who added the chancel in 1888. The Gothic Revival building had lancet windows, an aisleless nave and a bellcote. Sir Ninian Comper provided a stained glass window in 1939. The building was demolished in 1970, the vicarage next door was also demolished at the same time. The burial ground is now a pocket park. This area was demolished for the extention of Bembrook Road.
T Howell Shop – Bottom of Payton Road – St Leonards. c1910.
The Skylark taking on passengers. 1904.
The Bandstnd at White Rock on a wet night in 1913. Still didn’t deter people from listening to the music!
The beach at Carlisle Parade. 1902.
The beach at Harold Place. 1900.
The Fishmarket – Hastings c1900.
The Jenny Lind in the High Street showing bomb damage in 1942.
The New Lower Parade at Warrior Square. 1934.
The Privateer Pub demolished in the 1970,s Corner of Elford Street and Wellington Mews back of Queens Road.
Vale Road. 1912.
West Hill. 1912.
Wellington Place. 1959.
That’s all for now until the next time.
Many thanks to all that view.
Copyright © richardpollard.co.uk 2008 – 2019
© Richard Pollard 2008 – 2019