Well, here we are again with
We have had all the glass plates transfered
and these will be shown on further pages.
You will have fair warning to when
they are to be published here on our site.
For those seriously interested
we will be offering quite a few
of the original glass plates shown here
for sale later on with full copyright.
Please use the contact page
for further details and prices.
All Saints Street. 1905.
High Street in 1945.
Hastings Museum at Johns Place in 1938.
Alexandra Park,War Memorial. 1946.
Pelham Crescent. 1946.
Hastings Pier. 1952.
A very flooded town centre. 1935.
Alexandra Park. 1930. Even someone sailing their own model yacht on the lake too.
All Saints Street top of The Creek Steps. 1956. The vacant site has now been covered with a block of flats.
All Saints Street. 1928.
Battle Road. 1905.
Beach Terrace. 1905.
Boating Lake & Paddling Pool – East Parade. 1957.
Boating Lake. 1933.
Carlisle Parade. 1903.
Caroline Place. 1947.
Church Road. 1905.
Cliftonville Hotel at Breeds Place. 1922.
Commonwealth Day parade 1959. The parade enters Alexandra Park for a drumhead service led by the Corps of Drums of the 4 & 5th Battalion (TA) of the Royal Sussex Regiment.
Trolley bus en-route through to Cooden Beach, now in Queens Road. 1959.
Decorated Car Rally – Marina. 1907.
Denmark Place. 1905. (If only it was something like this today?)
Doreen Ladies Hairdressers – 78 Manor Road. 1964.
Pleasant Row and Winkle Island, with the cyclist about to go up All Saints Street. 1935.
East Parade. 1959.
Just as what the caption states. 1920.
Hastings Pier exhibition building being completed. 1958 era.
Heavy fall of snow in the park. 1909.
High Street. 1956.
Lanes Playland. 1954.
Looks as if a team of men are doing a bit of sprucing up to the American Palace Pier signage in 1909.
Lovers Seat. 1936.
Manor Road. 1910.
Milliners and Drapers. 1905
Minature Railway on the Stade. 1955.
On the beach at Sturdee Place. 1903.
Pelham Street. 1958.
Plynlimmon Road. 1905.
Queens Road. 1978.
Robert De Mortain as built in the late 1800s.
Robertson Street. 1906.
Robertson Street. 1890.
Rocklands school on the East Hill. 1925. The site is now a caravan park.
Salvation Army marching down Queens Road. 1922.
Storm at the Lifeboat House – East Parade. 1905.
Stormy weather at the Old Lifeboat House – East. 1895.
Temporary War Memorial. 1920.
The 5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion of the Royal Sussex Brigade marching through town after a service at Trinity Church – Robertson street. 1915.
The Albert Memorial. 1903.
The Bathing Pool shortly after completion. 1933.
The Carlisle Saloon – Denmark Place. 1922.
The Lifeboat Tea Rooms – East Parade. 1948.
The Norfolk Hotel East Parade. 1959.
The Royal Sussex Recruitment March – Havelock Road. 1914.
Tressider House – Wykeham Road. 1910.
Uncle Tom’s Cabin – The stade -Demolished to make way for the Jerwood Gallery, picture dates as of 1958.
The Ritz Cinema – Cambridge Road. 1954.
Built by the Union Cinemas chain, they were taken over by Associated British Cinemas (‘ABC’) just prior to its opening on 19th March 1938, with Greta Garbo in “Marie Waleswska”. Known as the ‘Ritz Cinema’, it had seating for 1,212 in the stalls and 694 in the circle. The cinema was equipped with a Wurlitzer 3Manual/8Ranks organ that was opened by Wilfred Southworth. There was also a restaurant located in the circle foyer.
It was re-named ‘ABC’ on 5th April 1962. The Wurlitzer organ was removed in 1964, and the cinema received a ‘modernisation. There were some live shows in the 1960’s when pop stars such as Cliff Richard, The Shadows, Billy Fury and Mark Wynter appeared on the stage.
The ‘ABC’ was closed on 6th October 1971 with Steve McQueen in “Le Mans”. The building had been sold to Sainsbury’s to build a new supermarket on the site. The ‘ABC’ was demolished in December 1971 and archaeologists discovered the foundations of a medieval Augustine Priory on the site.
For many years it was the Saturday home of the ‘ABC Minors’, showing cartoons and all films suitable for the young and very young.
After Sainsbury’s vacated the property for new premises at Sedlescombe Road North the building was taken over by the Co-op supermarket.
In 2009, the new building on the site is occupied by ESK Wholesale Ltd.
Winchelsea Road Ore. 1908.
Many thanks for looking, and see you all soon.
Copyright © richardpollard.co.uk 2008 – 2018
© Richard Pollard 2008 – 2018