HASTINGS IN OLD PICTURES 30.

Firstly we have to apologise

for the poor state

of some of the pictures shown here,

but the quality was beyond our control

and we were not able

to make things any better.

Many thanks for your continued interest.

 

23 Springfield Road. 1945.

 

Albert Memorial. 1907.

 

All Saints Street. 1904.

 

Archer Lodge – Charles Road. 1908.

 

Battle Road Hollington. 1909.

 

Cabinet Photo of man and women with their bicycles on the west hill area. 1912. (not very interesting Ah!)

 

Castle Tea & Supper Rooms- Castle Hill Road. 1911.

 

Day Trippers in a Horse-drawn Charabanc. 1904. Corner of Wellington Place and Wellington Square, looking towards Castle Hill Road.

 

Dimarcos and Woollies in 1962. Yes, we had to include this one as it might just bring back memory’s to many of dear old Woollies and Demarco’s popular cafe.

 

Entrance to Holy Child Jesus Convent,- Magdalene Road. 1908.

 

G. Bristow 15 Silchester Road. 1935.

 

H. Message Construction, London Road and Ashburnham Road – At Entrance to White Rock Gardens Cambridge Road. c1920.

 

Harold Place. 1954.

 

High Mead – Brittany Road. 1904.

 

Lower Parade at Warrior Square. 1937.

 

Montrose Boarding Establishment. 41 and 42 Cambridge Gardens. 1910.

 

Old London Road. 1902.

 

Old Town Seafront. 1904.

 

Ore Place. 1913.

 

‘Riviera’ Boarding Establishment 12 Warrior Square. 1908.

 

Royal George, Station Road corner of Devonshire Road. 1902. Built in 1855.

 

St Georges Road. 1910.

 

Taken from the junction of Devonshire Road and South Terrace. 1901.

The awnings over the shops on Queens Road can be seen. The shop on the corner was destined to become Marks and Spencer. It was called J. Hepworth and Sons at the time.

 

The beach opposite Carlisle Parade and Robertson Terrace. 1905.

 

The Cliffs and cottages from West Marina Station. 1924.

 

The Fishmarket Old Town. 1912.

 

The George Inn – All Saints Street. Old Town. 1904.

 

The Royal Oak Hotel from Caroline Place, this also fronted Castle Street. 1905.

 

The seafront on a wet day. 1925.

 

The sunken gardens. 1961.

 

The beach opposite Queens Hotel 1908. The cart in the photo looks like a portable darkroom that the beach photographers used.

 

The Swan Hotel High Street Old Town 1878.

 

Tower Road West. 1908.

 

Tram in Elphinstone Road just past Hughenden. Place. 1905

 

Upper Park Road Entrance to Alexandra Park. 1912.

 

View of new parade from the Metropole Hotel Robertson Terrace. 1935.

 

Vintage car Rally – Upper Park Road. 1950’s.

 

Vintage Car Rally Upper Park Road. 1950s.

 

Warrior Square. 1956. This is when the greens were used as putting greens and pleasure grounds.

 

Wellington Place. 1905.

 

Wellington Place. 1910.

 

Wellington Place. 1918.

 

Wellington Place. 1959.

 

Wellington Road. Leading up to the West Hill. 1912.

 

West Hill. 1920.

 

Westerleigh School Hollington Park Road. 1906.

 

Westwood – St Helens Road. 1895. Some 10 years after it was built.

 

Wringing out the Bathing Dresses – Early Beach Photo – Marina. August 1896.

 

York Buildings and Wellington Place. 1904.

 

August 1930. Waves crash against the seafront, where construction of the new promenade is under way.

 

Building the new promenade at Robertson Terrace. 1933.

 

Building the Promenade along the seafront. 1933.

 

Building Bottle Alley. 1934.

 

Building Bottle Alley. 1934.

 

The reconstruction of Castle Street. 1960.

 

The interior of the Restaurant at The Palace Pier – Marina. 1916.

 

St Georges Road. 1910.

 

Bulverhythe Hotel. corner of Bulverhythe Road and Bexhill Road. 1918. This is about to be demolished to make way for a new shopping development on this ground.

 

Robert De Mortain Pub on the Ridge.  We had to include this one also, as a local icon this has since been demolished and a small housing estate is covering these grounds that belonged to the pub. (2018)

 

Pictures 31,

is now ready and waiting for you,

so please keep looking and enjoying.

Many thanks to all.

 

 

Copyright © richardpollard.co.uk 2008 – 2018

© Richard Pollard  2008 – 2018