We make a start with the clearing of the land mines planted across Ecclesbourne Glen and area after the war.

This is what the papers stated in 1957.






We now take a look at the cliffs along Rock-a-Nore in the era of 1926, when the Corporation decided to scrape the face of any lose material as rocks were falling in bad weather onto the roof of the Dust destructer below, council workers set about removing the majority of the stone, but as you will see in some pictures the cliff not unlike today has a rather large crack in it, but no one on the cliff face seems to worry a lot, they placed a plank across the crack and carried on. There seems also a large amount of slack rope tied around the men’s waists to avoid falling too far should they slip, but one gent seems to have enough spare rope to get him to the ground!!

Workers clearing all the lose cliff face so as to make it safe! c1926


Shovel it off the top lads.


Is this stable?


Boards cover the cracks in the cliff


As Before.


Well done lads, now you can go for tea and a fag!


Now, a complete assortment of pictures at random!


A very old map of Hastings dating back to 1804. Note that Hastings then was better known as Hafling.


This Atlantean bus was the first bus to enter service in Hastings after the trolley buses, 43 DKT.

1894 carnival on the front going past the old Infirmary at White Rock.


Just as the caption says, laying tracks in Queens Road 1904, note the buildings on the right that had been demolished for the garage and now Osbourne House, Waterworks road is on the left top.


Hastings Pier Ballroom 1955, notice the suspended gas heaters hanging from the girders!


A. Vigor Grocer 301 Battle Road 1906.


I did tell you that it would be windy on the pier, but did you listen, Oh no!! 1920.






Cambridge Road c1929 with Priory Street just on the left.


Cambridge Road post office & telephone exchange shortly after opening c1927


Crowds leaving Hastings Pier after a performance 1905.


Denmark Place 1949.


Denmark Place 1958.


Fishing off the pier in rough weather 1956


General maintenance on the bandstand 1936, looks as if Health & Safety wasn’t invented then!


Harold Place c1947.


Harold Place 1949.


Harold Place showing the bomb sites c1947.


Hastings Pier 1954, someone is hanging on to a rope ladder (centre).


Hastings Pier and bathing machines 1907.


Havelock Road c1947.


Hollington infants school 1892. Are you there? mind you this is 125 years old!!


Interior of the pavilion on Hastings Pier c1900.


Lloyds Bank Wellington Place with Joe Lyons next door to the left and Dunn & Co next door to the right. c1947.


Mann Street 1950 Buss Buildings.


Marine Court showing after effects of the bomb damage, but the building on the right were demolished by the same bomb.  c1946.


On Hastings Pier c1900.


Passengers leaving the Glengowe Paddle Steamer at the pier head in 1947 one of the first trips after the end of WW2.


Pier maintenance workers lining up to get paid 1958.


Pier opening day 5th August 1872, and it rained and it rained!


1945 Reconstructing the pier frontage after the war.


The largest whale ever landed in Hastings, caught from the boat ‘Industry’ skipper Joseph Adams. It measured 13ft 6in., and did damage to the nets amounting to £5. July 1914.


The new Art Deco front to Hastings Pier before the clock was fitted on the top c1933


The pier ballroom 1954 Hector Davies.


The Pier Head 1951.


The St Johns Ambulance Brigade headquarters under the Glenroyde Hotel 1914.


UB118 with advert painted on side, well there’s surely no better place to advertise with scores of people looking at this vessel.


Warrior Square invasion defences still in place c1946.


View of Hastings pier from the sea end 1910.


Right hand side of Warrior Square 1910.


A busy town centre in 1949.


Albert Memorial 1903.


Albert Memorial from the other direction. c1903.


Robertsons Terrace c1908.


Grand Hotel as seen from Hastings Pier 1896.


Grand Hotel c1903. Look at the very ornate chimneys! They were built that high so that the draw on the fires would overcome the hills behind White Rock.


Albert Road c1962 (all gone for the road widening!)


Queens Parade 1978


Queens Parade 1978


159 Queens Road 1950.


As the caption says. 1942.


The passage way into Castle Street 1962.


Battle Road 1907.


Battle Road 1911.


Battle Road 1919.


Battle Road 1914.


Battle Road 1962 taken from the area of the Royal Albert PH.


Battle Road looking towards Silverhill c1905.


Looking down Battle Road from Silverhill Junction. 1905.


Rear of 190 to 196 Battle Road 1950. (Taken by the Council for an improvement scheme)


Church Road Hollington c1920.


Sedlescombe Road North c1908.


Silverlands Road 1908. (Where’s the garage?).


Silverlands Road 1918.


Crown Lane All Saints Street 1950. (This one was taken by the Council again for improvements to the area, like demolition!!)


Victoria Opera Hall Royal Terrace, Warrior Square. 1918.


The same building but now the Elite Cinema on Fire 1947.


Old Church Road c1910


Westgarth Hotel being demolished in readiness for the New Marine Court to be erected. c1929.


Building Marine Court c1932.


Amongst the rocks 1905.


Between the rocks 1908.


Beach at Breeds Place. 1905.


Boat repairs on the beach 1905.


Mast making c1905.


A Fishermen taking a break. 1905.


Net mending 1916.


The Dove heaving ashore c1890.


White Rock 1906.


St Andrews Church Queens Road c1905.


Newgate Road 1905.


The original North Seat 1890.


St Clements Church 1910.


The Coastguard cottages at Ecclesbourne Glen, pre 1830, (notice in the background, targets for shooting either riffles or bow and arrows! this area on that side was a military training area)


Children on the rocks at Fairlight 1901.


Fairlight c1890.


Horse & carriage in Robertson Street. 1890.


Circus comes to town 1905.


Military Parade at White Rock 1912.


All Saints Street c1910.


A view over Clive Vale c1926.


Winchester Restaurant and Milo’s on the corner of George Street in 1956., prior to the gas explosion, and the Olympia opposite that at one time had bumper cars inside riding on the steel plated floor and netting overhead where the boom made contact with the netting, sparks galore!


Claremont steps to Cambridge Road 1957


Congregational Church (Holy Trinity) Priory Street c1910. This building had changed several times during its life, But! In its last life the building became a games and Bingo hall prior to its demolition.


East Beach Street 1912, with Pleasant Row on the right.


Gildersleeve’s (Metropole Hotel) Robertson Terrace c1904, the building became part of the Queens Hotel in later years.


Hastings Grammar School 1934.


Hollington Methodist Church Battle Road 1909.


Junction Battle Road and Silverhill 1906.


Junction Battle and Paynton Road 1963.


Mount Pleasant Road 1907.


Mount Pleasant Road laying of the tram rails in 1905.


Taking a ride c1902. Wellington Square in the background and the Glenroyde Hotel at the foot of Castle Hill Road.


Castle Hill Road and Gardens 1966.


Clifton Ville Hotel at Pelham Place in 1922.


Suffolk House White Rock Gardens 1920.


Royal Visit on April 6th 1927 by HRH Prince of Wales. (This decoration is in Robertson Street).


One more for the album, a Beach group at White Rock in 1923.


Old Church Road in 1909. (They even had their own Policeman! And to what the lady is doing sitting in the hedge opposite is any ones guess!!)


Bottom of All Saints Street in 1916.


Same place but a few years earlier, they sold fish from the open window, as they smoked kippers there. 1910.


A nice aerial shot of White Rock, Robertson Street and Carlisle Parade in 1924. (Notice the Cricket Ground to the far right!)


Chapel Park Road c1912.


Holm Hurst St Mary on the Ridge, was not only a small private school but home to many Nuns.  c1925. (Now converted into apartments) Ms. Joanna Lumley went to school there too. Before various parts were demolished by the contractors to form contained apartments etc, they allowed me inside to take photos of the rooms etc., and Joanna Lumley’s name was on the wall in one of the dormitory’s along with others scribbled there too, this is to where she and others presumably slept at one time! Basically, it was like stepping back to the iron ages when you walked through the school. In the kitchen there was a row of about 8 – 4 burner gas cookers with just a plate rack on the top all lined up like soldiers perfectly clean (as you would expect nothing different from a nunnery indeed!) The heating was to the bare minimum with a row upon row of 4 inch cast iron pipes on top one another at various places in the school; that was the heating. The Chapel was very posh and most modern to look at from both the outside and the inside also. The lighting was just a single pendant hanging from the ceiling at various points in the corridors and rooms with a china concave glass shade on it, (what we called in the trade as a China Mans Hat!) the light was hardly sufficient to do any close work with, as each was equipped with just a 40 watt clear bulb! All the woodwork was varnished dark brown which of course didn’t help what so ever in seeing things any better.  The floors throughout were covered in large clay tiles, with a small pattern in them, (very much faded). I would expect that these would have been extremely cold to walk on in the winter months to and fro the bathrooms etc. The Bathrooms were extremely basic as you might have expected, with sinks lined up along one wall and a common area to bath! Privacy was not included on the menu then!! It seems quite obvious even to me that money was not thrown at the building neither inside nor out for many a year. The place according to records showed that in the later years that nearly all the nuns were moved away to a bigger place and only  like 2 or 3 remained until it was sold off for redevelopment. From my point of view it was a large formidable place to live and work in, as the whole place was in dire need of much TLC. 




The kitchens and work room. (1)


Just 2 of the cookers (2)


Food & provision store room (3)


Laundry wash room. (4)


An ornate fire place in one of the rooms. (5)


One of the class rooms. (6)


One of the beautiful ceilings. (7)


Another view of the ceiling. (8)


One of the corridors. (9)


A 3 light pendant in the Library. (10)


Just one of the piped radiators throughout the building. (11)


Yep! we found another. (12)


Was known (as told) a quiet room. (13)


Another corridor. (14)


The approach. (15)


A side alter in the chapel. (16)


The Chapel. (17)


The side passage way by the Chapel. (18)


The dedication stone laid by the Bishop of Chichester in 1950. (19)


One of the small courtyards. (20)


The classrooms and workrooms in huts outside. (21)


Colourful growth (Ivy) on the building. (22)


Another outside view. (23)


Almost the last before we leave. (24)


Please shut the gate on leaving! (25)


Miss Joanna Lumley at the start of the summer holidays in 1962. (Additional picture now added to the 25)






PLEASE RESPECT MY COPYRIGHT© richardpollard.co.uk 

If you would like a copy of any of the above 25, then please contact me.


Ashburnham Road 1906.


A very rough sea causing severe damage to the parade at Carlisle Villas at Easter 1918.


The Queens Hotel in 1937 soon after the parade had been extended by Mr. Sidney Little.  As war was declared in 1938 pictures for public use such as this one, were banned from being taken as they could have got into the wrong hands of the enemy to aid their bombing of the area/s.  So commencement of holiday pictures didn’t resume until after war was over around 1945. Any one seen taking pictures during the war would have been arrested as a spy and sent to prison, hence all the holiday photographers gave up taking pictures during the time of hostilities and found other work, consequently after the war many never returned to their old trade/s any more. The only people that took pictures during the war period were officially sanctioned by the War Office for official purposes only, and it only now that some of their pictures are becoming readily available. The Hastings & St Leonards on the Front Line was a classic booklet showing war damage around the borough but was not available till after the war.


One of the famous groups of performers that were on the Pier was ‘The Aristocrats’  taken in 1928.


Albert Memorial 1915.  The Post Office and the York Hotel all to the left of the clock tower, if you look closely you will see a telegraph pole up on the roof of the Post Office, and yet another to the end of York Buildings (just in front of the Castle, probably on a Castle Hill Road premise), that was the way all wires were taken from building to building rather than taking them underground; but many suffered damage in high winds.


Bulverhythe Road c1900


White Rock band stand 1920.


White Rock 1907. (We are sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, but they were very dirty and wouldn’t clean without damage).


Warrior Square 1910.


Town Centre 1890.


The Scotch Cafe 39 Robertson Street 1946.


The Lifeboat House 1905.


Robertson Street 1890.


Pelham Place 1905.


On the beach 1908.


Marina Parade 1895.


Maria Parade taken from St Leonards Pier 1895.


Carlisle Parade 1895.


Junction of Old London Road and Harold Road, otherwise known as The Market Cross or, The Top of The Town. 1908.


Having a paddle on the beach at Harold Place 1910.


Hastings Pier 1910.


Eversfield Place 1905. (Again sorry for the quality, but these were old pictures stuck fast in an album).


Eversfield Place 1890.


Eversfield Place again in 1905.


Eversfield Place at high tide. 1905.



East Hill Lift 1912.


Claremont  with the Observer Offices and the Brassey Institute (What is now our library) 1895.


Disembarking from a boat and being carried ashore to dry land! 1908.


At White Rock in 1907.


A shepherd watching over his sheep on Fairlight hills 1890.


A fisherman filling his pipe in the presence of a girl. 1894.


A new comprehensive collection of ‘George Wood’ pictures

the local photographer, as seen by the example above

have all now been placed in a separate folder

under the title of:-

Just ‘George Wood’.


This shows the old baths used as a cinema and stage theatre in 1870.  Over the road was were the Guinness bottling plant once stood before it was demolished to be replaced by the Palace Hotel/Chambers.


St Leonards Parish Church, Marina c1925. This is what it looked like inside prior to the Vl rocket (Doodlebug, Flying bombs) landing in the doorway and destroying the building.


St Clements Caves used as air raid shelter throughout WWl.


St Clements Caves, people from around the West Hill area used the caves as night shelters during the war.


When this was taken in 1958, you queued up to take your candle with you, as many areas of the caves were still unlit, and in one particular area you crawled on your hands and knees through a tunnel. Today, thanks to the Health & Safety laws we all live under a stupid society, but we know that some laws should be obeyed to protect our welfare! But since these laws came into force at least 3/5ths of the tunnels are now out of bounds and will probably never be reopened……..Shame!


Regal Cinema in London Road 1932.


190-198 Battle Road c1963.


200 – 190 Battle Road c1963.


Rear of 200 – 210 Battle Road c1963.


200 -210 Battle Road c1963.


Another part of Battle Road c1963


Albany Hotel 1903.


Beach Terrace 1915.


Bohemia Road 1908.


Bohemia Road 1910.


Chapel Park Road 1910.


Denmark Place 1904.


Grand Hotel 1903.


Eversfield Place 1903.


Grand Parade 1903.


Hastings Station c1912.


Horntye Road 1910.


Horntye Road c1909


Jnc Battle Road and the Ridge c1900.


Kings Road and Western Road 1963.


London Road c1963.


London Road c1963.


Marina 1904.


Hastings Pier taken from white rock garden steps in 1903, with the Infirmary to the left of the picture.


Robertson Terrace c1904.


Salisbury Road 1912.


St Pauls Road 1908.


Entrance to the White Rock Baths, which also doubled up as a cinema in the early years. This picture dates to around 1904.


Gas works at Glyne Gap about 1956.


High Street c1910.


Dawn & Dorset Laundry on Elphinstone Road. c1952.


Rock-a-Nore Road long before the east hill lift was installed, this picture dates as of 1890.


Just playing on the beach 1896.


Just as the caption says Sedlescombe Road North with Chatham Road on the right in 1911.


A Trolley Bus at Silverhill opposite Silverlands Road! But where is the garage!! 1955.


Battle Road heading towards Silverhill Junction. 1906.


Bottom end of Payton Road into Battle Road. 1911.


Again as the caption says, Sedlescombe Road North about 1910. (sorry for the poor clarity of the picture).


Charabanc outing from what is now the Duke pub in Duke Road. c1920.


Clinton Crescent Silverhill 1906.


Fish Market 1934.


Gypsy women using a bird to tell fortunes 1904.



Silverhill 1972.


Silverhill junction c1910.


Silverlands Road 1905.


The Welcome Stranger Public House on Sedlescombe Road North in 1906.


Trolley buses at Silver Hill, just look at the maze of overhead wires there are! 1959.


The Lord Brassey fishing boat, registered as all the fleet in Rye (RX) 1894.  Yet another name long gone.  This might have been a ‘George Wood’ picture because of the era taken, but this is not one of our originals!


Elva service station on Sedlescombe Road North in 1956.


Blomfield Road in 1908.


Charles Road c1905.


Church Road c1910. Note the ornate chimneys!


Combermere Road c1905. Where are all the houses and cars??


Christmas lights in Kings Road 1963.


Kenilworth Road 1906.  Again, where are all the cars?


Markwick Terrace 1910.


North Star Pub outing to the Derby 1926. Clarence Road.


Pevensey Road 1904.



St Peters Road nearing the junction of Tower Road 1906.


The old Curzon Cimema in Norman Road closed in 1977. Was up for sale by Alan Stace & Co.


Top end of Kings Road 1904.


Western Road Skinners 1969. This is one of the Planning Dept photo’s for the moving or installation of new signs on a building.


St Mathews Church 1911.


16 Cranbrook Road. J. Weller Electrical Contractor 1934.


Levitleigh home of Mr Du Cros MP, burnt by Suffragettes in the April of 1913.


A trolley bus standing at what will be Ore Clinic in 1952/3.


April 1916 A crowd at a concert at Hastings Pier to celebrate the opening of the Piers new extension.


Dick Whittington in the ballroom on Hastings Pier 1933.


Royal Victoria Hotel on a wet day in 1911.


Percy Piddocks Garage, Winchelsea Road 1949.


This is a fashion parade held on the pier sponsored by the News of the World c1956.


Victor Sylvester at the pier ballroom in 1954.


The baths chimney at White Rock 1897.


H. G. Chapman Coal Merchants Hastings.  Mr Chapman was a big coal merchant then as he even owned his own railway coal wagons, this picture dates to around 1905.


Part of Bourne Walk taken in c1955, now all demolished, and today forms part of the Bourne car park!


All Saints Street in 1921, notice the lack of railings on the high pavement; these weren’t placed there till after war started to prevent people falling off the edge in the blackouts. Likewise with the High Street.


Gardener Way at Marina looking towards East Ascent. 1910.


Longbottoms  sweet shop and stationary goods, more or less sold everything he could in the High Street 1925.  Spent long times in the shop just looking around and told, “if your not buying anything GO!” we still went back to his annoyance.


Aerial view of Pier and Falaise Gardens 1934.


Charles Road 1905.


Denmark Place c1905.


Eversfield Place 1905.


Lifeboat House c1899.


London Road 1907.


London Road c1905. It is some what of a coincidence that a coalman stops outside a house to where ladders are propped up to the roof, NO! he isn’t taking the coal to the top floor or pouring it down the chimney!!


Queens Hotel and beach 1906.


St Leonards PIer 1905.


The Stag Inn All Saints street 1922.


West Marina Gardens and Grosvenor Crescent 1904.


Grosvenor Crescent 1906.


Earl street Power Station name carved in stone! Electric Light Works.


Demolition of St Andrews Church in 1970.


The railway iron bridge that replaced the unstable St Adrews brick arch. Picture dates from 1960. Don’t see many if any steam trains using the Ashford line now-a-days!



Thanks to every one that looks at our web site,

you are our encouragement in keeping the interest of

Hastings & St Leonards history alive for future generations.


© Richard Pollard 2019

©richardpollard.co.uk 2019