Yes, here we are at Pictures 22.
We apologise that this page is a long one,
so beware as there and over 90 here!
Beach Huts and Fun on Pelham Beach. 1918.
Beach Photographer and his Assistant at work……Breeds Place. 1909.
Beach Terrace after the gale of 26th Nov 1905. Note the large concrete block thrown up against the houses.
Before Bathing – Early Beach Photo. August 1896.
Bowling Green – Alexandra Park. 1910.
Breeds Place and Pelham Crescent. 1959.
Breeds Place. 1959. Showing the construction on the fountain which was opened in 1960.
Bulverhythe bus depot. c1927.
Carlisle Beach. 1925.
Carlisle Parade and Beach from the Queens Hotel. 1937.
Carlisle Parade. 1903.
Carlisle Parade. 1905.
Children doing fitness exercises on Pelham Beach. 1925.
Competitors in the Sandcastle Competition – Carlisle Beach. 1909.
Construction of Pelham Roundabout looking East. 1959.
Corner of Sussex Road and Marina. 1906.
Coronation party 1952 Walgergrave Street.
Decorated Car Parade – Warrior Square. 1907.
East Marina. 1850.
Edwardian girls tucking up their skirts to enjoy playing on the beach at Carlisle Parade. 1903.
Glen Road – Hollington. 1910.
Hastings Carnival – West Marina. 1923.
Hastings Pier Fire from White Rock Road – July 1917.
Hastings Pier. 1929.
Here is a bunch of Happy People off on a Coach Trip somewhere – Breeds Place. 1958. Rambler’s coaches.
Hollington Trolleybus outside Hollington Laundry – Battle Road. 1957.
Horse Capstan on The Stade – Hastings 1919.
Inspecting the damage at Beach Terrace. 1905.
Inspection of Trams c1905. Christ Church – Ore, junction of Saxon Road looking north.
London Road looking South – St Leonards. 1909.
London Road. 1905.
Marina beach – St Leonards 1880. This would now be the beach in front of Marine Court.
Marina Beach. 1892.
Marina Promenade damage after the Gale in 1904.
Marina. 1881. Westgarth Hotel was demolished for the building of Marine Court.
Marks & Spencer Queens Road. 1958.
Mastins and the YMCA – Breeds Place. 1906.
Mr Dicker, Beach Photographer – Breeds Place with his portable dark room. 1904.
On the beach Eversfield Place. 1912.
Palace Pier. 1909.
In August 1917 a Mr John Henry Gardner moved to St Leonards and took over the pier. He became well known for his generous support for local charities and his attempts to make the pier a success.
But although the St Leonards Pier was an important attraction, it was an ongoing financial failure. Gardner effectively went bust in 1927 and offered the pier to Hastings Council for a mere £9,000. But the Council refused because of the high cost of reconditioning the structure, estimated at £21,000. Supporters of the pier disputed this cost, pointing out that over the previous two years the pavilion had been reroofed and repainted inside, a large sum had been spent on the substructure and the skating rink had been repainted.
Gardner, heavily in debt, continued running the pier until July 1933, when the denture holders gave up and sold their shares to London brothers David and Philip Lannon. They appointed a man named Arthur Collins as the ‘lessee’, on behalf of a company called Southern Piers Ltd. He renamed the pier as the New Palace Pier in March 1934 and promised it would be reconstructed and brought up-to-date.
Then on 7 July 1934 the lively national magazine John Bull exposed all the Lannon purchase as an “Astounding Seaside Pier Scandal”. It revealed that all these “notorious people” were shady characters with dubious pasts. Mr Collins, whose real name was Arthur Cohen, was the sole owner and director of Southern Piers, which had only been formed in December 1933, with just £1,000 capital. The Lannons, along with another man and their brother-in-law Cohen, had been involved in setting up a £250,000 business for the purchase of an American talking machine. This deal collapsed, but the Lannon group walked away with large sums of money. They also set up many highly criticised money-lending schemes, one of which had bought the pier.
The 1933 rebuild
John Bull concluded: “To give a full list of the ventures which the Lannon Brothers have been associated with would be impossible. Time and again their tangled affairs have been thrashed out in the bankruptcy courts, and hard things have been said of their conduct by officials. … In these circumstances we shall watch the developments of Southern Piers Ltd and the New Palace Pier with interest.”
Despite the scepticism of the John Bull, extensive changes and improvements were made, reflecting the changing trends in holiday making. Numerous well-known dance bands were engaged, and the new attractions ranged from a bridge congress to all-in wrestling. But the Lannons had soon had enough, and in September 1938 their solicitor placed an advertisement in the Hastings Observer saying that the pier was up for auction in London. But it failed to reach its reserve price, with the highest bid being £34,750.
Pelham Beach and Hastings Pier from West Hill. 1905.
Pelham Crescent. 1938. (Probably one of the last postcard pictures taken before restrictions came about by the MOD for taking pictures during hostilities).
Pelham Crescent. 1958.
Pelham Place. 1867.
Pelham Place. 1912, showing the entrance to the Sandringham Hotel.
Pleasure boat on Pelham Beach being pulled ashore. 1922.
Residents of the Gildersleeves Boarding Establishment, Robertson Terrace. 1912.
Robertson Street looking East. 1855.
Royal Victoria Hotel. 1937.
Sandcastle building competition on Pelham Beach. 1906.
South Colonade Marina. Later demolished for road widening when Marine Court was built. The building on the right was demolished in order to build Marine Court. 1920. (Westgarth Hotel).
Splash Point from Carlisle Parade. 1911. What is it in looking at a rough sea?
St leonards Pier. 1935.
St Leonards school. 1947. (What a happy bunch they are).
St Matthew’s Church – London Road. 1910.
State visit of the Lord Mayor Of London at Marina. November 1908.
Steam train crossing Queens Road Bridge. 1957. (Probably getting to the end of steam and one of the last few to ever cross the bridge).
Storm damage at St Leonards Pier – Marina 26th and 27th November 1905.
Synchronised Swimming Display – The Bathing Pool. 1937.
The Albert Memorial. 1912.
The Bathing Pool – St Leonards. 1936.
The Bathing Pool same era.
The Diving Platform at the Bathing Pool. 1936.
The beach at Eversfield Place. 1922.
The Beach at Pelham Crescent. 1908.
The ongoing fascination with Sea Shells. 1908.
The paddle steamer Cynthia nearing Hastings Pier in 1905.
The Cynthia was built in 1892 and was a regular visitor to the pier giving day trips to France, she was wrecked in a gale at Dun Laoghaire Harbour in 1933.
The Palace Pier – Marina. 1908.
The Rougemont Boarding Establishment at Breeds Place. 1904.
The Sandringham Hotel – Pelham Crescent. 1937.
The Stade showing the remains of the railway tracks that led on to the Harbour Arm. 1904. (if this proved successful it would have been connected directly to the main line railway, how! your guess is as good as mine??)
Unloading Coal on the Harbour Arm in 1898 it started deteriorating as early as 1912 further collapses happened in 1946.
This is on the left hand side of Warrior Square gardens just prior to Norman Road. 1948.
Warrior Square. 1938.
Town Centre looking towards Havelock Road to the right and Cambridge Road ahead. 1902.
Town centre. 1954. Trolley buses everywhere!
Trams at Silverhill. 1906.
Uplands School From the Garden – Archery Road – St Leonards. c1905.
View looking West from Pelham Crescent. 1934. OH, if it wasn’t like this today still!
Wellington Square. 1902.
West Marina and the Sussex Hotel. 1912.
West Marina looking West. 1906.
West Marina station. 1958. Back of Bexhill Road, closed completely around 1968. (Was on the Eastbourne/Brighton line).
West Marina. 1924.
Westerleigh school. 1908.
Classroom – Westerleigh School. 1908.
Westerleigh school sat on a 10.5 acre site and was founded in 1906, but was not always a school it was once a manor house built in the early 1800s, it was owned by two different families up until 1930 when it was bought by the Wheeler family.
White Rock bowling greens. 1936.
White Rock Parade. 1905.
White Rock Parade. 1906.
White Rock Pavilion. 1929. Now don’t get me wrong, but I think that’s what they called a (sleeping) Policeman in the road!
WW1 Tank on display at Pelham Crescent. 1921 This was put on display to raise funds for WW1 wounded, orphans etc. after the introduction of the Haig Fund.
Yatchs and Queens Hotel. 1908.
Thank you, and hope to see you all again soon.
Copyright © richardpollard.co.uk 2008 – 2018
© Richard Pollard 2008 – 2018