Yes! we have managed to move on to Pictures 16,
so please enjoy what you see.
Looking down Castle Street. 1902.
Marine Parade Boating Lake. 1935.
Metcalf & Kirkpatrick – 2-6 Wellington Place. c1905. (Later to house Woolworths, after a complete renovation)
Outside the York PH, York Buildings. 1908.
Rye Bus in Wellington Square in its wartime livery. c1940.
Skinners Coach outside the Royal Oak Hotel, Castle Street. 1928.
South African War Memorial at White Rock. 1908.
South Side, Alexandra Home for Invalids. Thought to have been in the Bohemia Road area. 1908.
St Leonards Pier. 1933.
HUNTING FATHER TIME.
A novel competition was held last night at the American Palace Pier. A handsome gold watch was hidden by the Manager, Mr. M. Leopold, on the Pier, at 7 o’clock, and notices were placed about to say that the finder could keep it, or receive a money award on taking it to the office. At ten minutes past eight o’clock, after a great crowd had been ransacking every nook and cranny, Miss H. A. Bowles, a visitor staying at 3, Southwater Road, St. Leonards, proved to be the lucky finder. Great amusement was caused by the hunt. 1910.
The Lady Brassey steamer docked beside Hastings Pier. 1910.
The Stag Inn and their neighbouring cottages, All Saints Street in need of some TLC. 1905.
Wellington Place. 1956. (The premise next to Woolworths was the Ministry of Food to where you obtained your ration card during food rationing, the building was later on taken over by Woolworths to extend their shopping area).
Wellington Road. c1910.
Wellington Square. 1908.
Wellington Square. 1909.
Wellington Square. 1957.
Woolworth conversion early 1960’s.
York Buildings. 1959.
WW1 Women Workers. Bohemia Road area.. 1912.
Fish Ponds, Summerfields Woods. 1905.
Present day Map of Summerfield Woods.
Another great gale at Harold Place in November of 1904.
At the Bandstand in the Park. 1911.
Baths Parade. 1908.
Elphinstone Road Junction of St Helens Road. 1910.
In front of Beach Terrace. 1904.
On a Charabanc outing from Hastings. 1914.
Queens Road Trolley Bus. 1959.
Trolley Bus on Harold Road about to climb Saxon Road. 1959.
The beach at Pelham Place. 1904.
Workmen holding back a hand cart on Elphinstone Road. 1905. (You’ll wear your boots out mate!)
What is the attraction I wonder? Has no one ever seen a beached Submarine before!! 1919. WE HAVE!!
The beached Submarine U118 at Harold Place. 1919.
Yep! here it is again in the July of 1919.
Old Hastings House at the top end of High Street. 1911. See addition notes below.
On this day 9th December in 1760 – Death of John Collier, aged 75, the most powerful establishment figure in Hastings from c1710 onwards. He had acquired a very large amount of land, including much of what is today the Country Park. He had 24 children, but only five daughters survived him, one of whom, Mary, married Edward Milward Snr. Milward acquired most (if not all) of Collier’s property, and by the end of the 18th century he owned most of the undeveloped land between the Priory Stream and Fairlight Church. Collier’s widow Mary wrote in 1764: “The way he [Milward] goes on here is quite amazing to all the world; neither house nor land within ten miles of this place that he will not purchase if it’s possible, by offering more than people can withstand.” Another daughter of John Collier, Cordelia, married Major-General James Murray, Governor of Quebec Province 1763-6 and the builder of Beauport house on the Ridge.
Angling Competition – Hastings Pier 1956.
Honestly it was this BIG! – Angling Competition on the Pier. 1949.
Birds eye view of Hastings Pier 1933. When we had a pier looking like a pier!
Entrance to Hastings Pier. c1933.
Entrance to Hastings Pier. c1880.
Entrance to Hastings Pier. c1890.
Gale on Hastings Seafront from the Pier – 24th October 1937. One of the last photo’s taken before war restrictions were imposed by the MOD upon all seaside pictures.
Grand Hotel as seen from Hastings Pier. c1897.
Hastings Pier & Bandstand from White Rock Gardens. 1955.
Hastings Pier 1946 – Showing the parts front and centre that were removed during WW2.
Hastings Pier from above. 1933.
Hastings Pier from White Rock Gardens. 1933.
‘Little’s’ Peerless Pierrots wore costumes adorned with large pom-poms, they performed comedy sketches, songs and dances on seaside piers or on temporary stages erected on the beach. 1920.
Night swimming at Hastings Pier. c1932.
On the Pier Promenade Extension opposite the White Rock Pavilion. 1933.
On this day 17th August in 1896 The captain of the Hastings steamer Bonnie Princess, William Hurdman, sailed from Hastings Pier to Dungeness with 901 passengers, 247 more than allowed.
The Captain was charged on 10 September with overloading and was fined £10 plus a shilling per head extra. (Total fine about £30.10 shillings)
Photo of the paddle steamer the ‘Bonnie Princess’ a twin funnels, twin-masted, straight stem, with a central bridge.
One way of dealing with a rainy seaside holiday – a 1950s staged publicity photo.
Paddle Steamer the Brighton Queen arriving at Hastings Pier. 1955.
Passengers disembarking the Glengowe Paddle Steamer at Hastings Pier Head – May 1947. One of the first trips after the end of WW2.
Passengers disembarking a Paddle Steamer at Hastings Pier head. 1935.
Queen of Thanet PS. c1919.
On this day 6th September in 1884 – The Queen of Thanet finally made it to Boulogne, taking just five hours, but more gales stopped it returning to Hastings until the following Tuesday. It had been planned that the Queen of Thanet’s inaugural trip should be to Boulogne and back, but bad weather confined the boat to excursions along the English coast for its first four days.
After more trips along the coast, plus another to Boulogne, the Queen of Thanet’s charter ended on 21 September. The test was seen as having been a great success, attracting much public interest (and 2,938 passengers), despite the poor weather and the dilapidated state of the pier’s landing stage. A few weeks later Paine and Collard had a meeting with the Hastings mayor, Cllr Edwin Bradnam, who ran the town’s largest pawnbrokers in George Street, a few doors along from the fruiterers, to discuss setting up a steamboat service. The trio, led by Paine, then recruited other local businessmen into the setting up in early February 1885 of the Hastings and St Leonards Passenger Steamship Co Ltd. They quickly sold enough £10 shares to buy for £7,350 the 192 feet long iron paddle steamer Carrick Castle. Built in 1870, and licensed to carry up to 360 passengers, the Carrick Castle began regular trips from Hastings Pier on Monday18 May 1885.
Sea Angling Festival – Hastings Pier – October. 1907.
The Paddle Steamer ‘The Cynthia’ approaching Hastings Pier. 1892.
The Pier Head and landing jetty. 1950.
Tourist Group on the pier posing for a snap shot with empty bottles of beer: Oh dear, got to find some real stuff!! 1956.
View inland from Hastings Pier. 1881.
View inland from walkway alongside the Pavilion on Hastings Pier 1881. Look at the beautiful ornate iron work, today all gone!
View of Hastings from the Pier. 1901. The Baths Chimney can be seen quite clearly across the road behind the shops at White Rock, this was tunnelled under the road to this point so to keep fumes etc from being emitted at low level at the baths. The chimney base can still be seen behind White Rock even today.
The Merry Imps (not looking very merry) on Hastings Pier c1910.
Thanks for looking and hope to see you all soon.
Copyright © richardpollard.co.uk 2008 – 2018
© Richard Pollard 2008 – 2018